A few weeks ago, I had this breakthrough realization regarding my chronic migraine life.
After my diagnosis, I made one big huge mistake.
I let it define me.
I let being a chronic migraine sufferer define me.
You know how some people define themselves by their roles - a teacher, a parent, a sister, an advocate, etc.? I have been defining myself by my diagnosis.
But, here's the thing... My diagnosis, while it is a part of me, it isn't who I am.
For the past few years, I've let being a chronic migraine sufferer be who I am.
There's so much more to me than just my diagnosis.
So, I've embarked on a journey to find who I really am. Being a chronic migraine sufferer isn't who I am, it's just something that I happen to deal with - just like others may happen to deal with a broken bone, or a bug bite, or a cut/scrape.
While I'm not quite sure who I really am right now (hence this journey), there are a few things I do know about me. First and foremost, I am a follower of Christ. I have devoted my life to the Lord and to doing as God commands of me. I'm also an advocate. I am a daughter, a sister, a friend. I am a giver - I want to help others any way I can. I'm an organizer. I am a problem solver. I am a fighter - I don't give up without a fight. I am a child of God.
Did you notice that being a chronic migraine sufferer didn't make that list? I purposely left it off. Because putting it on that list would be like saying I'm a broken toe survivor. Yeah, I've broken my toe. Yeah, it totally hurts. But I don't meet people and say, "Hey! I've broken my toe before. So nice to meet you!" That's totally ridicilious sounding, right? Well so is choosing to let a diagnosis define me.
There's far more to me than just a diagnosis.
It's taken me a long time to realize this. But, once I had that breakthrough, I realized there was so much in life I was missing out on because of the way I had chosen to define myself. Notice how I worded that - the way I had chosen to define myself. I put myself in that box. And now, I'm taking myself out of that box.
So, here's to starting a journey outside of the box - a journey to find who I truly am. Because, somewhere inbetween being diagnosed and making myself stay in a box defined simply by a diagnosis, I've lost sight of me - I've lost myself. Here's to finding me - possibly for the first time in my adult life...
Saturday, October 13, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Your style is reallу uniquе compareԁ to other pеople І
ReplyDeletehave гead stuff from. Many thanκs for ρosting when
you've got the opportunity, Guess I will just bookmark this blog.
My webpage - teknaf