The first goal of my journey has been set -
Goal #1: Always keep an open mind. Everyone has a story. Be open to listening, be open to looking past the physical, be open to hearing others' stories, be open to sharing, open up yourself - your heart . . . be open.
Having a story - that's where this journey began.
Instead of referring to your past as "your past," I have a friend who refers to it as "sharing your story."
I absolutely love that! How many of us cringe when we think about or are referenced to our past? Those two little words carry such a bad connotation with them.
But how many of us cringe at the thought of sharing a story?
Think about it... How often do we avoid the questions about our past simply because of all the regrets we have regarding it?
But, let's be honest, our past is our past. It belongs to us. It is personal. It is a story. A written story that we cannot change - despite how badly we wish we could.
Compare this to the last book you read. You read it. Sure there are parts of the book that you still don't remember. But, when it comes to the basic plot of the story, you still remember it; you remember the high ups and the low downs. You can't go back and change what you read. It's done. It's read. Even though the ending may have been completely awful, that's how it ended. You can't change that.
The same applies for our life. Except, when it comes to your life, you're the author.
I do a fair amount of writing with my life. Are there things I've written that I'm not totally happy with? Yeah. But I can't go back and change it now. It's been submitted. It's been read. It is what it is. I can't change it.
Each day, you write the story of your life. Everyone's life story has its moments - its ups, its downs, its moments we wish we could take back.
Regardless, part of our story is already written. The rest, well, we continue to write it daily.
Consider this - how often do we try to hide certain parts of our story from others due to shame? At the same time, how often do we look down on others - judge them, if you will - for certain parts of their life story?
How fair is that??
The simple answer: it isn't.
And the truth of the matter is just this -- we are all guilty of it.
We all have parts of our story that we wish we could tear out of the book, burn, and pretend like it never happened. Yet, when others have the courage to share those pages of their story with us, we judge.
Notice the word I used there - courage.
I will be the first to admit that I am guilty of this. I'm guilty of judging others simply because they have courage. Courage, a character trait I often lack though like to believe I have in plenty.
We all have a story. And one little life event (or, in my case, one diagnosis), doesn't define us or set the plot for our stories - despite what we've told ourselves for years. Despite what I have convinced myself to believe throughout the years.
Have courage. Share your story! And most importantly, don't look down on those (perhaps even judge them) who happen to have more courage than you do.
Which leads me to the second goal of my journey -
Goal #2: Have courage. Share your story. Take the time to listen to others who share their stories. Don't be afraid. And, above all, don't judge others for possessing courage.
Tuesday, October 16, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment