Friday, December 13, 2013

The Single Life Facade

A while back, I remember reading a lot of blog posts by busy bloggers (most of them were moms).  They would post a picture that made their life seem perfect and ideal.  And then they'd post about what you don't see in that picture - which would include a detailed discussion of the mess that didn't make it into the photo frame, the tantrums that were thrown earlier in the day, the worries and tears shed by the parents over how to afford Christmas presents this year, etc.

Long story short, these were posts about how deceptively deceiving our lives as we choose to share with others can be.

Believe it or not, but the same applies for us singletons.  We may post photos of us out on a weeknight with our friends having fun.  We may brag on Facebook about how much fun we had on our last-minute weekend getaway.  But our lives aren't perfect either.  They, too, are deceptively deceiving.

In case you missed this announcement - I'm single.  I am the chef, housekeeper, grocery shopper, income provider, bill payer for my household.  I do it all.  Sounds empowering, right?  Kinda like, "I am woman, hear me roar!"

Well, here's the reality.  Here's what you don't see on my Facebook --

  • I fall asleep on my couch watching tv more nights than I honestly care to admit.  There's just no incentive to leave the couch for a cold bed.
  • I don't sleep at night because I can't.  My mind is racing over how I'm going to pay the bills, do laundry, find time to grocery shop, what to cook with the limited food I have in my pantry, etc.  And when I am able to sleep, I am awoken by a panic attack.
  • I work out daily because it's one of the few things I know I can rely on. It's the one place where I can be reminded that although the rest of my life is a hot mess, I can still spin just as fast as the SAHMs or lift the same amount of weight I could lift last week (if not a bit more).
  • My house isn't decorated for Christmas because I don't see the point. Nor do I have the time or energy for it.
  • You know that amazing dinner I cooked the other night - which was the first time I've actually cooked dinner in months?  Yeah, I'm still eating that dinner...3 days later.
  • Yes, I went out shopping on a weeknight with friends till 8pm.  But what you didn't see is how that night was spent watching them shop for their boyfriends.
  • My loan repayment is due today, Friday the 13th.  Because that is my luck. And it's also something you definitely won't see me bragging on Facebook about!

Moral of the story -- the grass isn't always greener on the other side.  My life is not exponentially easier, carefree, or more fun because I'm single.  So don't let the singlehood facade confuse you.  Because it's just that - a facade.

Rather than be jealous of what others choose to share via Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/Blogger, embrace the life God has blessed you with because He has a plan for you, a plan far greater than you can imagine. (Self, take note!)

Pretty sure I just established goal #6 for my journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment