Today's challenge is discussing who you would invite to tea to help better understand your migraines.
As odd as this sounds, I would invite my doctor.
The last time, he asked me what a migraine felt like because he's never even had a headache before (can you say totally jealous of him?).
Now, just because he's never had a headache, I don't feel as though that makes him a "bad doctor" nor does it make him unable to effectively care for/treat me. In reality, he's the absolute best doctor I've ever had. The doctor I saw before him had struggled with migraines. That doctor's response to my complaints: "Just suck it up and deal with them. You don't need medication. You'll grow out of them like I did." SO glad that guy is no longer my doctor!
Anyways, I would invite my doctor to tea (and by tea, I mean he can drink tea but I'll be drinking water since caffeine is a big no for me). I'd love for him to see me in my environment. See how migraines really do effect my life. And not feel like I have to quickly answer his questions as he has somewhere else he needs to get to or other patients waiting to see him - although he rarely ever makes me feel as though he's in a rush.
I know my doctor understands migraines in the textbook sense. And I know he's seen me on some of the worst migraine days of my life. But I'd love for him to see me do my daily living tasks all while fighting a migraine because I believe if he could see that, then he truly would understand the full impact of migraines - both in the medical and human sense.
Saturday, June 2, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment