Saturday, May 3, 2014

A Powerful Life Moment

I am a pianist.

I've been playing piano for over 15 years now.

When I first started learning how to play piano, it was because I really wanted to play.  I had friends that played.  I loved sitting to watch them play.  There was something captivating I discovered with the piano.  I wasn't sure what it was, but it drew me in.  It was something I knew I needed to learn how to play.

As a kid, we had a recital every year.  And, every year, I dreaded it.  I hated playing the piano in front of others.  (Confession: I still hate playing the piano in front of others.)  I participated in the recital, though, because I honestly had no other choice.  I played my pieces I had practiced for months - all while visibly shaking in fright.  I never managed to get through any of my pieces without messing up.  But, I made my way through each piece, stood up, faked a smile, and quickly rushed back to my seat (hoping to crawl underneath it and hide) till the recital was finally over.

Very few people in my current life today know I play the piano.  One of my best friends, who I thought knew everything about my life, just recently found out I was a pianist.  It's not something I often talk about.  And it's something that usually shocks people when they find out.

I don't talk about it because, most people, when they find out you're a pianist, immediately ask you to play something for them.  I always refuse.  The most I'll play is a scale.  But that's it.

Last night, a friend of mine asked me how my week had been.  I told him I had been struggling with depression, and that I was trying to get back into writing to help with it.  He asked if he could read some of my writings.

So, here's the deal.  Yes, I have this blog.  Yes, I write blog posts on it (albeit not as often as I should).  But, my friends and family don't know I blog.  I've never shared this blog with them.  This blog has never come up in any conversation we've ever had.  While I have shared a few pictures of myself, I do my best to remain as anonymous as possible.

Why?  Because when I write, I find I am very honest and vulnerable.  The exact opposite of how I am in real life.  I write because that's how I feel emotions, that's how I figure out how I truly feel about events going on in my life.  I write for me.  That's it.  (See Goal #3)

After much hesitation, I decided to share my writings with him.  I sent him an email where I had copied and pasted a few of my most recent blog posts to him.  And then I waited for his response.  Minutes felt like hours.  And with each passing minute, I felt my anxiety level increase.  It increased to where I was visibly shaking.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore.  I tried listening to music, but that didn't help calm me.  I knew why I was anxious; there was no need to sit there trying to understand my feelings.

Just when I thought I couldn't take the anxiety anymore, I got up and walked toward the piano.  I sat down and started playing.  The more I played, the more feeling I put into what I was playing, the more I kept my eyes closed and just felt the music, the less anxious I became.  When I finished, I let out a deep breath.  A breath it seemed I had been holding for hours.  And then I felt it.  It.  Peace.

As I went to stand up from the piano, it hit me.

The piano is my refuge because it's the one place where I can express my feelings.  I put my heart and soul into what I'm playing.  If I'm feeling happy and upbeat, that's reflected in what and how I play (upbeat, fast as my fingers can move, rag music).  If I'm feeling anxious, that, too, is reflected in what and how I play (slow, soft, flowy pedal pieces that I close my eyes and sway with as I play).

I don't play for others because my heart shows when I play.  If others see or hear me play, then they'll see my vulnerable side, a side I hide and keep to myself.  That is the exact reason why I get so anxious and nervous whenever I am forced to play for others.  And that is also the exact reason I avoid, at all costs, having to play for/in front of others.

I've been playing piano for over 15 years.  It has taken me over 15 years to realize that the peace I feel when I play comes not from the actual piano itself, but rather from me releasing my heart and my emotions as I play.

I stood up, and, all alone, in my quiet home, in the wee hours of the morning, I declared, "THAT was a powerful life moment!"


No comments:

Post a Comment