Sunday, December 2, 2012

Why I Blog

There are many things I struggle with in life.

But, close to being at the top of my list of struggles is sharing my emotions.

Emotions.

They're something we all experience.

But it's also something we all have a different way of showing.

I'm a hider of emotions.

I think it all ties back to having a chronic illness.

In the eyes of others, you are always sick.  It's all in your head.  You need to get over yourself and then your life will get better.

I heard those phrases so many times in my life that I began to shut down.  Notice - I didn't say I believed them (because that couldn't have been further from the truth).  I simply just shut down.

Sure, I was in serious pain.  But unless I truly trusted you, you didn't know.  I smiled a fake smile.  When asked how I was feeling, I'd always respond with a "good" or a "fine," even when that wasn't the truth.

Here's the thing, though -- not only do I struggle with showing emotion, but I struggle with how to deal with situations where others are showing emotion.

I find emotional situations to be awkward, uncomfortable, and situations in which I want to flee as fast as possible from.

Ultimately, this is why I blog.

I still am struggling with how to experience emotions, show emotions, not be perceived as "cold-hearted" or "shut out."

Writing, blogging, helps me figure out how to express emotions through words.  Once I am able to see how I feel, that helps me to understand how I feel and thus fully experience emotions.

I don't blog so I can be the next professional blogger.

I blog so I can find me.  Learn who I am.  And, eventually, (or maybe even hopefully) begin to understand and accept myself for being just that - me.

Goal #3 for my journey: Ignore my blog statistics. Remember that I'm doing this for me and only me.  I am giving myself permission to allow myself to write about, experience, feel whatever emotions may come my way.  And I'm not going to let my Blogger stats (however high or low they may be) get in the way of this journey - my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment