Monday, January 20, 2014

5 Years

Today is my 5 year anniversary of officially being diagnosed with chronic migraines.

Not only is today my 5 year anniversary, but last week was the official 1 year mark for the last time I was hospitalized.

1 year ago today, I was at home recovering from a whirlwind hospitalization.  I was pretty much camped out on the couch, sleeping, and not moving.

5 years ago today, I was sitting in a hospital totally unsure of what was going on, completely nauseous, overcome with vertigo, struggling to see, and was covered in bruises from constantly falling into walls.

I've learned a lot in 5 years.

I've learned my limits.  Which means listening to my body.  Even when I don't want to exercise, I know my body will love me more if I take those 30 minutes out of my day.  Even when I want to go out, I know my body will be kinder to me if I take some time to relax and sneak in a nap.

I've learned to take the bad days with the good.  Not everyday is going to be a good day.  Just the other week, I woke up totally sick with vertigo.  I think I downed like 4 Gatorades in 2 days last week.  One month ago, I was on steroids, curled up with an electric blanket set on a high and a heating pad on my neck also set on high because my muscles were so tight it hurt to move.  But today, today I had a fantastic spin class followed by a great workout on the gym floor.

I've learned that I'm strong.  God has shown me my strength.  When I thought I had none left, He has blessed me with just what I needed to endure.  Yes, I have my weak moments.  But, I've learned my strength far outweighs my weaknesses.

So, if you're new to the migraine world, don't lose hope.  Keep fighting.  Don't give up.  I can't promise you every day will be a good day, but I can promise you that God will help you endure.

No comments:

Post a Comment